To Medieval Classes
Bataille de Roncevaux en 778. Mort de Roland Grandes Chroniques de France, enluminées par Jean Fouquet, Tours, vers 1455-1460 Paris, BnF, département des Manuscrits, Français 6465, fol. 113 (Cinquième Livre de Charlemagne). Bataille de Roncevaux en 778 (en arrière-plan à gauche) : Au retour de l'expédition d'Espagne, l'arrière-garde de l'armée de Charlemagne, conduite par Roland, est attaquée par les sarrasins dans la vallée de Roncevaux. Mort de Roland : Le neveu de Charlemagne, Roland, comte de la Marche de Bretagne, gît sur l'herbe. Auprès de lui, son frère Baudouin se lamente avant de prendre l'olifant et l'épée Durandal de Roland pour les porter à l'empereur. Date vers 1455-1460
Netbook can be found on the following website
The material below is designated as Open Game Content
The strong must bear up the weak and protect those who cannot help themselves. This is clear in the code of the paladins. The steel martyr is utterly dedicated to this aspect of the code he takes the wounds of others on himself. To a lesser being, this would be sheer folly and verge on the suicidal, but the steel martyr has learned the alchemy of discipline and sacrifice. He can transmute injury into Strength, growing more powerful with each wound and thus able to ease suffering the more he suffers.
The risk to the martyr is terrible should he fail in his resolve, even for a moment, then he will be grievously wounded by the agonies he takes upon himself. For this reason, martyrs are careful not to become attached to anything save the pain of the world. By cutting themselves off from all companionship and cordial bonds, the martyr ensures that there is as little as possible in his mind save transcendent agony.
Hit Die: d12.
To qualify to become a
steel martyr, a character must fulfil all the following criteria:
Skills: Concentration 12 ranks, Heal 12 ranks, Survival 9 ranks.
Feats: Great Fortitude, Endurance, Die Hard, Iron Will.
Special: Ability to cast shield other.
Special: The steel martyr must have suffered some terrible injury in the course of his career; specifically, he must have been reduced below 0 hit points in battle and bled for at least five rounds before stabilising. He must also spend at least one month preparing himself through flagellation and selfdenial.
|The Steel Martyr|
|Class Level||Base Attack||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special||Concentration Bonus||Damage Reduction|
|1st||+1||+2||+0||+2||shield other, terrible endurance||+0|||
|2nd||+2||+3||+0||+3||Alchemy of pain, first alchemy regeneration||+0|||
|3rd||+3||+3||+1||+3||Extra shield other||+1|||
|4th||+4||+4||+1||+4||Second alchemy holy blood||+1|||
|5th||+5||+4||+1||+4||Moderation of agony||+1||DR1/|
|6th||+6||+5||+2||+5||Extra shield other||+2||DR1/|
|7th||+7||+5||+2||+5||Third alchemy willing martyrdom||+2||DR1/|
|8th||+8||+6||+2||+6||Fourth alchemy blazing agony||+2||DR2/|
|9th||+9||+6||+3||+6||Extra shield other||+3||DR2/|
|10th||+10||+7||+3||+7||Fifth alchemy mass martyrdom||+3||DR3/|
The steel martyrs
class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb
(Strength), Concentration (Constitution), Heal (Wisdom),
Intimidate (Charisma), Ride
(Dexterity), Survival (Wisdom) and Swim
Skill Points at Each
Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.
Armour and Weapon Proficiency: Steel martyrs gain no additional armour or weapons proficiencies.
shield other (Sp): The steel martyr may cast a variant shield other a number of times per day equal to his Constitution bonus. He also gains another use of the spell at 3rd, 6th and 9th levels. This variant of shield other does not require any material components and the range is increased to Long (400 feet plus 40 feet/level). The steel martyr may not dismiss this spell before the duration runs out. The steel martyrs caster level is equal to his class level.
Concentration Bonus (Ex): The steel martyr gains a competence bonus to Concentration checks as he advances in level see the table.
Terrible Endurance (Ex): The steel martyr is not killed by being reduced below 10 hit points. He must, however, make a Fortitude save every round (DC equals 10 + the steel martyrs negative hit point total, so DC 20 at 10, DC 30 at 20 and so on) or die. Only grotesque dismemberment or overwhelming damage can permanently kill the steel martyr.
Alchemy of Pain (Su): Whenever the steel martyr takes damage, he may attempt to draw Strength from the pain. This is referred to as the Alchemy of Pain. The steel martyr must make a Concentration check (DC equals the amount of damage inflicted since the steel martyrs last action). If this check is failed, then the steel martyr may not use alchemy of pain this round. Only one alchemy ability may be used in any round:
* The First Alchemy Regeneration (Su): If the steel martyr is reduced below 0 hit points, he may attempt to restore himself. If he successfully activates Alchemy of Pain, he automatically regains one hit point each round for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution score. Note that the character will have to use his Die Hard feat to avoid being knocked unconscious at negative hit points and will automatically fall unconscious when he uses a standard action to activate this ability.
* The Second Alchemy Holy Blood (Su): The steel martyr may use Alchemy of Pain to convert any of his blood spilled this round into holy blood. This acts like double-strength Holy Water (4d4 damage to undead and evil outsiders, 2 points of splash damage). For every ten points of damage dealt on the steel martyr, he may create one pint of holy blood. This is a standard action.
Alternatively, the steel martyr may ready this ability to use against creatures affected by Holy Water. If the steel martyr succeeds in using alchemy of pain on the damage inflicted in the round, then any undead or evil outsiders who damaged him in the current round take damage equal to the damage they dealt to him.
* The Third Alchemy Willing Martyrdom (Su): The steel martyr may use Alchemy of Pain to heal damage suffered by another via his shield other ability. If the steel martyr succeeds in using Alchemy of Pain, then he cures one person currently affected by one of his shield other spells of half the damage (rounded down) they transferred through the link in the last round. The steel martyr may channel this healing through the shield link and so does not need to touch the target. Activating Willing Martyrdom is a move action.
For example, a steel martyr casts shield other on a wizard. The two are attacked by assassins. One assassin deals 20 damage on the wizard half of this damage is transferred to the steel martyr thanks to the shield other link. The other assassin deals 15 damage to the steel martyr directly. The steel martyr has suffered 25 points of damage this round; he makes a Concentration check (DC 25) to activate Alchemy of Pain, then uses Willing Martyrdom to cure the wizard of five points of damage.
* The Fourth Alchemy Blazing Agony (Su): The steel martyr may use this ability to gain a +1 bonus to attacks and damage for one round for every ten points of damage suffered in the last round. He must succeed in an Alchemy of Pain check to activate this ability.
Activating this alchemy is a move action.
* The Fifth Alchemy Mass Martyrdom (Su): When this ability is activated as a free action, the steel martyr may choose one creature affected by his shield other spells for every 20 points of damage suffered by the martyr in the last round. For the next three rounds, every attack, spell or harmful effect that strikes the chosen target(s) instead injures the steel martyr. He absorbs all their damage; he is the target of every spell; the poison flows through his veins and he suffers the negative levels. Even death effects are transferred through the link.
Moderation of Agony (Su): The steel martyr is immune to spells or effects that cause special penalties due to agony, such as torture or a symbol of pain. He is also no longer subject to death from massive damage.
Damage Reduction (Ex): The incredible toughness of the steel martyr gives him some damage reduction see the table.
Epic Steel Martyr
Hit Die: d12.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.
Bonus Feats: The epic steel martyr gains a bonus feat every four levels higher than 20th.
Concentration bonus: The epic steel martyr gains a +1 competence bonus to Concentration checks every three levels after 9th.
To Medieval Classes
The Worlds of Mankind is owned and created by Mark John Goodwin
The text on this page is Open Game Content, and is licensed for public use under the terms of the Open Game License v1.0a.
System and the d20 System logo are trademarks of Wizards of
the Coast, Inc.
and are used according to the terms of the d20 System License version 6.0.
A copy of this License can be found at www.wizards.com/d20.